Monday, January 14, 2008

Flying over old St. Louis

A few people have asked me where the title of my blog comes from, Missouri Bird. Well, its the title of an old John Stewart song, about being young and going into the world and returning to first loves etc. If you don't know John Stewart, shame on you, he is a veteran of the folk-rock scene, has released loads of records, had one minor hit called "Gold" in the late 70s and still rocks on after all these years.

Fundamental disappointment at not being able to get tickets for Neil Young in London, we were prepared to forsake our island haven for the tribulations of the big city for a few days just to maybe catch the old boy live for the last time (he's old, we're getting there, travelling is mostly done through thought these days), but to no avail, sold out is all I can find.

Last of all this time, I read all those positive, praising reviews of Dennis Johnson's "Tree of Smoke", the latest great american novel etc., so decided to give it a go. I must admit to finding it a bit of a struggle, his plotting is laborious, the characters flabby and undemanding, but I will stick with it, maybe it improves as it moves on.

No comments: